Saturday, July 18, 2015

Breast Feeding vs Formula

I just recently had my 3rd child. This time around I have been more committed then ever to breast feed. My other 2 kids have had asthma and eczema and I really feel like this was due to giving them formula. However, there are sites online that say that their is no link between breastfeeding reducing the risk of your baby getting ezema. However, here are some things that I know for sure about formula vs breastfeeding.

Immune System

Breastfeeding strengthens your babies immune system that your baby needs while they are developing and growing. Many formulas on the market are full of GMOs. Just recently Similac came out and said they have an organic version of formula that does not have GMOs. Wait a minute?! Why would you put GMOs in baby formula?


Weight Loss

One thing that new mothers are unaware of is that breastfeeding helps to contract the uterus. Breastfeeding also burns calories. You can burn upwards of 500 calories when you breastfeed. With formula you only burn as much as it takes to take the bottle out of the fridge, warm it up, and hold it to your baby's mouth

Convenience


Convenience depends on how you look at it. For me formula was more convenient because my baby could not latch to the nipple. This means that in order for  me to give my son breast milk I had to pump out the milk and use bottles anyway because it was so painful. And, it took me double the time to prepare his feedings.

Thus, in my situation formula was way more convenient. However, if you do not have a latching problem breastfeeding may be more convenient for you because you do not have to worry about cleaning and preparing so many bottles.

FREE MILK

When you breastfeed you do not have to worry about buying formula and running out. As long as you continue to eat a nourishing meal and stay hydrated you do not have to worry about increasing the family's budget by having to buy formula.

Options 

All in all you want to make sure that your baby is healthy. If you are going to use formula get the best formula. Use an organic formula. One brand that I like to use is Honest Baby Formula. You do not have to worry about GMOs

Also, if you are like me and your baby has trouble latching or if you are going back to work you and you want to breastfeed get a breast pump. There are some great brands. I have tried 3 different kinds and the Medela breast pump is the best!!

Also, if you feel apprehensive about breastfeeding in public, no worries. There are plenty of sleek and stylish breast feeding scarfs that will give you and your baby the privacy that you want.


I hope this was helpful to you! To a healthy happy baby!

References:

https://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/breastfeeding/Pages/Breastfeeding-Benefits-Your-Baby's-Immune-System.aspx

http://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2015/05/28/abbott-slammed-praised-after-cutting-gmos-from-similac-as-competitors-assess/


No comments:

Post a Comment